When building your Barndominium, you want to let in as much natural light as you possibly can, especially if you have an open concept floor plan. You may want to consider floor-to-ceiling windows in the front so you can see the magnificent outdoors.
Before choosing your Barndominium windows, make sure that you check with your zoning board to be sure you have the right size and number of windows in each room. Also, look at the placement of the windows to make sure in the bedroom that the bed will not cover the window.
In this article about barndominium windows, we will cover where they should be placed, tools needed, safety equipment, and more. By the end of this article, you will know all you need to know about barndominium windows to ensure they are done properly.
- Each window has to be a certain width and height.
- For better savings on your heating bill and to be energy efficient, they should be double-pane or thicker.
- They should be easy to open in case you need to escape from a fire
Barndominium Windows – Ultimate Guide
Barndominium windows add coziness and comfort to a room. There is nothing better than sitting in a window seat surrounded by windows while enjoying a cup of coffee. Windows also can provide you with an exit in case of an emergency. They can also change the way a home looks. There are so many types of windows to choose from so take your time to make sure you choose the right ones for each space.
Where Should the Windows be Placed?
To answer this question, each bedroom, or room that is used for sleeping, has to have at least one window that is large enough for someone to get out of. This includes children and adults. On average, they need to be about five feet square. When choosing your floor plan, make sure that this is included. If they are double or single-hung windows, they should be a minimum of five feet in height and three feet wide. This will help you know where to place them.
When building your barndominium, consider which direction you want the windows to face. Do you want to see the sun rise or set? On average, the minimum distance between the window and floor is 44 inches.
What are U-value and R-value
The reason that these two values are important when choosing barndominium windows is that you want to make sure that your barndominium is as energy efficient as you can make it. For example, if you are building a barndominium in the south, you will need less insulation than one built in the north.
- U-value—this is the inverse of the R-value. You want this to be a low number because the lower the number, the better insulated the window is.
- R-value—this is the measurement of how well the window resists the conductive flow of heat. The reason that this is important is that with heat, it will always want to flow from the hot side to the cold side. This value will tell you how much energy it is going to take to keep the inside of your barndominium at a steady temperature, no matter what it is outside. The higher this value is the more insulated your barndominium is.
What to Consider When Choosing Barndominium Windows
- Safety—when figuring out barndominium windows, one thing to remember is that every room that is going to be used as a sleeping room, it has to have an outward-facing window. In some instances, you may want to use safety glass, which means it will not break into small fragments. It is advisable to use safety glass in any window that is within 24 inches of a door and must be used in a sliding glass door.
- Your lifestyle—yes, windows are a functional piece for your barndominium but you should choose windows that reflect your styles such as small-pane, full pane, top-hung windows, sliding sash, bay windows, and more. Every window has its benefits, drawbacks, and distinct look.
Tools Needed for Barndominium Window Installation
What tools you will need will depend on the type of windows you have. At a minimum you will need:
- Driver/drill and bits
- Caulk gun
- Utility knife
Most windows are heavy so you will need someone to help lift them and to help hold them in place while you fasten them into the frame.
Personal Protective Equipment Needed
You should always wear eye protection and gloves. You should also make sure that you have a sturdy ladder and someone close by to watch while you are on the ladder. You should also have on closed-toe and slip-resistant shoes.
How Do You Install A Barndominium Window?
Most of the time, when you are having your barndominium built, you have hired a contractor, so they will be the ones that install your barndominium windows. If you are doing most of the work yourself, including installing the windows, you will want to make sure that you install them before you insulate your barndominium along with the shell of the build.
The reason that you do it this way is so that you can make sure that all of your insulation is in all the places it should be around the windows. How you would install them will depend on the manufacturer of the windows and the type you have. All windows have different installation instructions
Before installing barndominium windows, always check your state and local building codes to make sure your windows are up to code. If not, then they will not pass inspections and you will have to correct them, which can be costly. This article has covered what you need to install your barndominium windows and how to choose the right ones.